Pages

home     about     contact

Friday, August 17, 2012

Summer Reading Haul

Normally my reading lists are pages long, stuffed with teacher recommendations, lists from the library and must read suggestions from friends. This summer was different. I put aside my long lists for just four books. Granted, they aren't Infinite Jest sized but they were books that I wanted to savor. 

I read two while overseas and I adored both books.

The House on Mango Street by Sanda Cisneros

A novel made up of vignettes The House on Mango Street was an incredibly sweet read. There wasn't a moment when I wanted to push my way through the pages, I was stuck on the story in front of me. Even when I finished, I went back immediately and reread stories. 

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I have known about this book for months and as a result, I had high expectations. They were smashed when I finished the book.  It was relaxed with a certain level of intelligence and perspective that was truly refreshing. I don't currently have the book with me, it was a story I had to share! My copy now has a home with my cousin in Nigeria.

If you want an in-depth review for these books check out:

The American Novel: The House on Mango Street


'The Fault In Our Stars': Love In A Time Of Cancer by Rachel Syme


Happy Summer Readings!
Christle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...