Pages

home     about     contact

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Sometimes Winners Quit

Before you start college, a well meaning person will tell you to join no more than three clubs. Some of you will agree and others will be tempted to ignore the advice. For those who wish to ignore good reasoning, don't.

I was the person in high school who was a member of every organization and held a leadership position in every other one. I thought the advice of "three is the limit" had a special clause for overachievers.

I was an active member of five different organizations and for most of the spring semester, I thought I could balance it well. Over time, I didn't have time for school or friends and I was always stressed out. And for what? A resume? Satisfaction? I took a break from everything and realized that I wasn't happy - so I quit a club. I felt bad about my choice, like I had somehow let people down but the response was the opposite. People were happy for me and realized that lightening the load would make me more effective.

So learn this lesson the easy way:

Depth is always better than breadth. Fast-forward to your senior year: Would you rather say that you had over five clubs on your resume but didn't get much individually done in each club or have two clubs where you helped to make a difference? The choice is yours but realize the more you take on the more you have to sacrifice. Which brings me to...

Saying no to one thing is saying yes to another. If you say yes to every single opportunity something will give. You know the joke. Sleep, School, Social life: pick two. There isn't any reason why you can't have them all. Saying no to an organization or an extra task will help you budget your time better. 

Obviously the limit is different for every one. I couldn't handle five groups but I feel great with three. Some of my friends are comfortable at two. 

Choose wisely,
Christle 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...