Pages

home     about     contact

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Martha, Martha

Confession time: My name is Martha.You won't find me without a to-do list and an updated Google Calendar. I read more emails than books and my stress level varies from bothered to outrageous on weekdays. Like I mentioned, I'm Martha found in Luke 10:38-42.

I've been working my way through She Reads Truth's Devotional entitled Women in the Bible Pt 2, and loving every minute of it! Last night we looked at Mary and Martha. Unfamiliar with the story? Jesus and His disciples make their way to the home of the two sisters. Martha is disappointed when her sister, Mary, sits at the feet of Jesus  instead of helping Martha finish the preparations. Martha turns to Jesus and asks for His help in motivating her sister. "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed - or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken from her." (Luke 10: 41-42).

(Side Note: How wonderful is it that we serve a God who has truths that are still relevant to our everyday lives!)

Verses 41-42 reminds me to focus on the eternal, not the everyday. My mother has this wonderful saying, "Worry will not add a single day to your life." Yet, I worry as if my life depends on it. I worry about applications. I worry about friends. I worry about classes. I worry about medical school. I worry about my GPA, MCAT, GRE, and other acronyms. This simple truth spoke to me:

God doesn't want my actions.  God wants my life. 

What does that even mean? God wants my whole life? The God of the Universe and my Creator is not satisfied with Sunday worship and a daily quiet time. He wants me to be focused on Him always. Here is where I get defensive: I'm busy. I love God, but what do emails and to do lists have to do with my walk? The Lord wants me to live in a way that brings honor to him. I can do this by choosing to make the most out of the time he has given to me. I don't believe that God is against work, but I do believe that God is against worry. If I can trust God to care for my eternal future, I can trust God to help me with my every days. Martha's occupation with her worry caused her to ignore Christ! This is why God wants my life. Each time I worry, I miss out on an opportunity to be blessed by God and his work. 

The orator in me cannot finish a whole blog post without a three step plan for success.

Sabbath. As a pre-med (future MD status), I feel confident in telling you that our bodies crave rest. I'm not fully sure how this will play out in my life but I want to have a day of rest every week. No social media, no emails, no blog updating. Just resting in God's word and enjoying the day he brought to me. "You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you" - Isaiah 26:3-4

Saying No. If you keep up with my blog, you probably recognize this point. I struggle with saying no, but I'm praying that I get better. Saying no to positions and extra work will help me say yes to my family and friends.

Prayer. I need to be steadfast in prayer. When I'm overwhelmed (which is normally 1-3x a week), I need to call on my Savior to help me through the day. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" - Philippians 4:13

I'll leave you with the words of She Reads Truth
The world does need Marthas, those people that get things done. But when they get things done, they have to do it with the right heart. And thankfully, Jesus is in the business of reshaping hearts. (source)

God bless the Marthas and Marys and those in-between,
Christle 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...