Pages

home     about     contact

Saturday, October 26, 2013

No Little Plans

I haven't been posting a lot lately because life happened. Take your pick: Organic Chemistry. Genetics. Student Government. Texas Spirits. Kappa Rho. Everything and anything has fought for my time with sleep and rest being in the losing corner. But I'm here. With a new major and a new challenge.

If you didn't know before, I added on Urban Studies as my second major. That means I can continue stumble over my incredibly long list of plans for my time at the University of Texas. (International Relations and Global Studies, Urban Studies double major minoring in African Studies as a Liberal Arts Honors Student // Pre- Med). I always seem to garner the same question - what do you want to do with that? The answer is simple -  I want to work on building environmentally friendly and sustainable healthcare infrastructure in west Africa. But how I plan to get there remains unseen. I used to find such confidence in knowing the direction of my goals. I walked into my freshman year with plans to graduate and head straight to medical school. However, in the words of the famous philosopher, Taylor Swift - everything has changed. I still have plans to apply for medical school, but I've been giving some serious thought to the possibility of taking time off to pursue other passions. I'm looking into graduate school for a Masters in Public Health, and chances to work with non-profits, or even apply for Teach for America. This isn't about trying to build up my resume for medical school, but trying to build up my experiences in life. Twenty is just around the corner, and I'm already feeling the anxiousness of being young and having to make big life choices.

Whatever I do, I (in the words of urban designer, Daniel Burnham) will "make no little plans." Instead, I will "make big plans; aim high in hope and work."

Christle




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...