Pages

home     about     contact

Sunday, February 2, 2014

My People

via
Happy Black History Month (and a belated happy birthday to the "Shakespeare of Harlem," Langston Hughes)! In 1937 Dr. Carter Wilson advocated for "Negro History Week," and in 1976 the celebration was expanded to include the entire month of February.

"To acknowledge our ancestors means we are aware that we did not make ourselves. We remember them because it an easy thing to forget; that we are not the first to suffer, rebel, fight, love and die. The grace with which we embrace life, in spite of the pain, the sorrows, is always the measure of what has gone before" - Alice Walker, "In These Dissenting Times"


I'm excited to celebrate the vibrant history of African Americans with you! But for now, I'll leave you with one of my favorite Langston Hughes' poems, "My People"

The night is beautiful,
So the faces of my people, 
The stars are beautiful,
So the eyes of my people, 
Beautiful also is the sun,
Beautiful also are the souls of my people. 
-  Langston Hughes 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...